Cajun & Creole : Ham and Sausage Jambalaya
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (20-ounce) package kielbasa or other smoked sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/2 pound cooked ham, cut into cubes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon Original TABASCO® brand Pepper Sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice
Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add sausage, onions, green pepper, celery and garlic and cook 8 to 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add chicken broth, tomatoes, ham, bay leaf, TABASCO® Sauce, thyme and allspice; simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
Stir in rice; cover and simmer 15 minutes or until rice is tender, adding more broth or water if needed. Remove bay leaf before serving.
Makes 6 servings.